Skip to main content

Is there a step by step guide to starting a corporation?

Holton, MI |

We are starting a new business. We want to incorporate it. Is there a step by step guide to doing this? Is there something that tells everything you have to do to become a corporation. Step by step guide perhaps.

+ Read More

Filed under: Business
Attorney answers 3


I might suggest that you go to Nolo Press ( They have excellent self-help books on many topics, including yours.

However, you should talk with a CPA and perhaps a Business Attorney to determine exactly what kind of entity would be right for you. There are many pros and cons in forming C-Corporations, S-Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, etc. Once you are sure of the entity that you want to form, you could get the step-by-step information from Nolo Press, or try, or my recommendation of having a business attorney help you form it so that you will have counsel for other legal issues that may come up with the company in operation.

Hope this helps!


You might start by checking here:

This is a guide published by the State of Michigan. There are many other resources available. It would also be helpful for you to consult with a corporate attorney. There are many lawyers that do not charge for initial consultations. That way, you have someone who can answer any questions you may have and help you to determine what might work best for your situation. The problem with books is that they cannot cover every situation. Just like a trust is not right for every client, a corporation may not be the best way to achieve your objectives.

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick


Save yourself some headaches down the road and do it right. Hire a corporate or tax attorney to have you set up properly. How to books are great, but the facts of each case are different. Do not mess around here if you are serious. I can not tell you how many times that I get client's who have cheaped out in the beginning only to have a really bad tax or business result. Get a lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.