Skip to main content

Is there a statute of of limitations on underage drinking?

Duryea, PA |
Attorney answers 3


It is unclear from your question whether you received a citation two months ago or whether the police stopped you two months ago and told you that a citation would be issued. In either event, you should meet with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. The attorney will determine the status of the matter and will protect you. A conviction calls for a license suspension and a record so you need to be proactive.


Two months is not a very long time. However, if this is underage drinking-as opposed to a DUI which it is listed as-I would be surprised to see them pursue it at this point. If it is a DUI, they may still be waiting for test results before filing the charges.


If you mean you were stopped for underage drinking 2 months ago and haven't received a citation yet, according to statute I believe the police have 2 years to bring charges. However it is very unlikely they will do so at this point. I agree you should have a criminal defense attorney look into this more closely, because depending on your priors you can be facing a 90 day, 1 year or 2 year driver's license suspension.

Michelle A. Fioravanti, Esq.
Like me on Facebook: Law Offices of Michelle A. Fioravanti, P.C.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer