Is there a statute of limitations on a speeding ticket?

Amarillo, TX |

Tkt recvd in Swisher Co approx 10 yrs ago. Hired atty to take care of it. Took defensive driving course. Court recvd ppwk. County has changed administration and has now hired another atty in Amarillo to contact me to get me to pay for ticket. They say they have no record I had atty or took def driving. My atty's license has been suspended for a time and he is or will be acting as an atty on a probationary status for a period of time. I'm really not sure how to handle this at all.

Ten years is longer than the statute of limitations for most felonies. If you haven't taken defensive driving lately you might offer to do that as it's probably less expensive than hiring a lawyer.

Www.Austincriminaldefenseattorney.Com
512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

A speeding ticket is a Class C misdemeanor. A complaint for a class C misdemeanor must be filed within 2 years of the date of the alleged violation, unless there are events that "toll" this statutory period. I suggest you hire an experienced traffic ticket attorney to defend you in this case.

Yes, two year limitations period. You will probably need to post a bond, then contest the matter to get it resolved.