Is there a statue of limitations as to how long after arrest and indictment that a person must be tried on felony charges?

Atlanta, GA |

If I was arrested in 2008 and indicted in 2009 what can be done to force the State to either end my case by dismissing or force a trial?

Best Answer

Talk to your lawyer about whether it is in your best interest, which it is probably not, to file a Constitutional Speedy Trial demand.

We filed that over a year ago.

Noah Howard Pines

Noah Howard Pines

Has there been a hearing on that motion? What is your lawyer telling you about it?

No hearing Judge refuses to give us time on a calendar. Six months ago we were allotted one hour for motions which ended up to be less than 15 minutes. All motions filed had to be discussed then mt Motion to dismiss was started and 15 minutes later Judge called time.

You can file a motion for speedy trial. A speedy trial motion tells the court that you are requesting your right to a speedy trial, which is essentially a trial without delay, and to effectuate the timely resolution on the case.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or mbarber@barberlegalcounsel.com if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Speak to your lawyer about filing a motion to dismiss based on a violation of your constitutional right to a speedy trial.

My lawyer has done just that. How do you force the motion to be heard?

Benjamin David Goldberg

Benjamin David Goldberg

Your lawyer should be able to get this on a calendar. Maybe he/she doesn't think arguing this motion is in your best interest. Ask him/her about this.