Skip to main content

Is there a payment plan offered on a State Board of Equalization levy?

Hemet, CA |

I was sent a notice of levy from the State Board of Equalization,what can I expect to happed?

+ Read More

Filed under: Tax law
Attorney answers 3


Yes; you should immediately contact the BOE Centralized Collections Department or person identified on the notice of levy and request a payment plan. In many cases, the levy can be lifted within 24 hours. You should also consider a settlement offer or offer in compromise if you cannot afford the total amount owed. You can find information on both programs on the BOE's website at Finally, I would recommend that you talk to a California tax attorney or accountant if you need assistance. Good luck!


Yes, just contact them to see what they're willing to work out. If no payment plan is adopted then the levy will take effect and will have to be cleared at some point. You'll want to get this addressed as soon as possible, particularly if you have assets at risk.

Good luck.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.


Both gentlemen have given you excellent answers. Please hire one of them.