Skip to main content

Is there a limit of time that DCF has to close an open case? What are the steps or procedures they will take?

Fort Myers, FL |

I am just curious on how long does DCF have to close a case, is there any time line. Will they notify the parents of the child they feel is at risk when this case is close? I have all these questions but have been instructed by a local attorney to avoid them and let them take me to family court and then she would step in, I am not sure that this the right action to take, and am worried I am putting my family at risk by listening to this advice. If I have nothing to hide then why avoid them. I am confused a this point I have only missed a cuople of calls for myself heon the other hand has the law officer calling him and the same attorney said not to go and speak with them, agian is this the best advice. The case details are very vague, my child complained about her father to a teacher.....

she in return did her job and turned this info over to DCF, they came to the school and interviewed them. Not sure about all that was said. Not sure if i in thier eyes am guilty of anything. They have witnessed him man handle me and be mean to me and i have in return not done anything about it. this has been quite some time ago. He does tend to have a drinking problem and can get pretty verbally nasty when drinking in which we are all sick of but is this ilegal? Agian I am confused and just want to do right by my children. Thank you for any advice you may have.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The best advice is listen to your current attorney. You should not try to "second guess" your lawyer on a website such as this.

The interplay between Chapter 39 (Dependency law) and Chapter 61 (traditional "custody/family law") is best handled by a lawyer knowledgeable with your local judges and DCF case workers and lawyers.


However, I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should not assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

There may very well be merit to your defense in this type of situation. There are hardly sufficient details, however, for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided.

There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. You may also contact the Florida Bar, (850) 561-5600.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer