Is there a law preventing a public high school from selecting students based on ranking them by GPA/CST scores?

Long Beach, CA |

In Long Beach we have open enrollment for all high schools and students apply to various small learning communities. When too many applicants apply for a program the district selects solely based on GPA/CST scores even for programs that are not focused on high academics (i.e. community service, arts based, etc.). This seems unfair and puts all the top kids in certain popular programs, leaving the other programs known for "stupid" kids. Is there any law that prevents this type of selection process?

There are very likely some sound disparate impact issues that can be raised and even proved, but that is an expensive and lengthy course. Community involvement in the system and exercise of the political process might be a much better strategy here.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.

I would need to know more about your particular child and their situation. Are they a minority? Do they have a disability? Other factors come into play. I would suggest that you meet with an attorney in person to disucss this.

If the district is selecting solely on those characteristics then there are some serious issues with bias. You would need to review the standards with an educational lawyer to determine all of the selection criteria before you can ascertain if their selection process is biased. You could file a complaint with the Department of Education and ask for an investigation, which would be the least expensive approach.
There are a number of minority advocacy groups including the ACLU who may be able to assist you.
All the best.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.