Skip to main content

Is there a deadline for when a traffic citation and/or summons must be sent?

Devon, PA |

I was advised by an officer a month ago that I would be receiving a citation in the mail. Five days from today will mark one month since the date of filing and I have yet to receive the citation.

Is there a deadline for when a citation and/or summons must be sent? What if I never receive them? What if a hearing is scheduled without me ever being informed of the same? I've done a docket search online which showed that there is a judge assigned and they are awaiting my plea, yet I wouldn’t know this unless I did the search online. How can I defend myself when I'm being kept out of the loop in terms of the basis for the officer's charges in addition to the court proceedings? I intend to fight this wholeheartedly as the citation is unjust yet I need the paperwork to do so.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Promptly enter plea of not guilty. Ask District Court for copy of Citation. Worst thing you can do would be to let hearing date pass bye without defending Citation. Please take a look at my client reviews for my representation in defense of traffic Citations, If I may be of assistance to you,please do not hesitate to give me a call. Good luck to you.

No attorney/client relationship is formed between the attorney responding to this question and the individual asking the question.


Here in NY the limit is 2 years.
You should check with a local attorney for the exact time limit in your state.
Never the less, I don't think that a month is a short amount of time for a traffic matter.
The volume of traffic tickets in enormous.

This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)


I would get a lawyer for the citation. Furthermore, your lawyer should go and explain to the court that you never received any notice of the citation. That should buy him/her more time to prep for the case.

Attorney Michael Kotik, Esq. |
MNK@ (Email) | (215) 564-1010 (24 Hour/Office Line) | (267) 265-4553 (Direct Line

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from Kotik, P.C. The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Law Office of Michael Kotik, P.C., | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102