Is there a conflict of interest?

Phoenix, AZ |

My ex's attorney is representing her against me in a custody case. Her attorney is also representing her boyfriend in a criminal domestic violence and civil/family custody case. Is there a conflict if the boyfriend is called as a witness in my case when he is one of his clients, too? It's really weird because the attorney asks me questions that don't relate to MY case but to the boyfriend's case and I'm not comfortable discussing things with him about the boyfriend when there have been criminal domestic violence charges pressed against him and he is around my children.

Representing your ex in a custody action and representing her boyriend in a divorce action as well as DV action would not be a conflict unless she was the victim in the DV action.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Is it normal for a lawyer to have one client testifying in another client's case? She can be called to impeach him and, not that I care what happens in his case, she can be called to impeach him in the event that they lie (I know...expect it). Plus, where he is accused of criminal domestic violence in front of a child, what happens if something happens in front of my children? Is it really that far fetched?

Sounds like this may be so. You can ask the court to recuse the lawyer, and or file an ethical complaint against him with the board of professional conduct.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.