Skip to main content

Is there a bankruptcy lawyer living near me who will assess my assets, expenses and exemptions for low cost on a limited basis?

Walnut, CA |

I have clear details for my income, expenses, debts; assets. I am confident that the limited assets I have will get through trustee's. However, I am not experienced with using all exemptions possible. I could use someone to review my information and correct possible errors.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Your question states you reside in Walnut, California. You can use to search for attorneys near you and contact them for an appointment. Alternatively, try contacting the Los Angeles County Bar Association (see link below) for a referral to an attorney near you.


You can also use the attorney finder feature at


What you are describing is "unbundled" services. Because the Bankruptcy Court supervises the services of debtor's counsel and requires disclosure of services, attorneys in your area might be concerned that providing unbundled services may be prohibited or discouraged by the Court, or will require a fee disclosure.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


If this is the same question-asker from earlier (Walnut CA), then it may be possible to assist you pre-bankruptcy for a lower fee than the expense of full-representation.

If your case is already in final form and you simply seek the review of an attorney before filing, 2 hours or less should be enough time to review your case, assets, and exemption planning and check for any errors.

Also, before filing you are required to complete pre-bankruptcy credit counseling and you will be responsible for filing that certificate with the court. You will also be required to submit your tax return to the Chapter 7 Trustee within 1-2 weeks of the 341(a) hearing. These "tips" and more would be included as a benefit to working with a bankruptcy law firm/lawyer.

Best of luck!

Michael Salanick

NOTE: we can be reached at (310) 590-4575. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


If you live in the Los Angeles area the Bankruptcy Court has a free legal aid that can assist you in assessing your situation.

Jonathan Leventhal, Esq..
Leventhal Law Group, P.C.

NO EX-PARTE NOTICE VIA VOICE MAIL OR EMAIL: I do not accept e-mail notice for ex parte Applications via voicemail or by email. You must comply with California Law and give notice to a person in my office during regular business hours.

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

Leventhal Law Group, P.C. is a Debt Relief Agency under federal law.

Note: The Leventhal Law Group, P.C. does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of the Leventhal Law Group, P.C. and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer