Skip to main content

Is there a alimony award in the state of Vermont

East Meredith, NY |

I live in Vermont and been married to my husband for nine years. I am sixty and starting over can I get a stipend or alimony payment awarded to me before divorce

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Alimony
Attorney answers 3


I suggest you re-post your question on Avvo's Vermont section.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Your best bet is to consult with a local Vermont matrimonial attorney. You can find one using the "Find a Lawyer" tab here on Avvo. You could also try re-posting with Vermont as your location rather than NY. I'm not admitted in Vermont, but it appears spousal maintenance (alimony) may be available in your in case. The below link is to a pamphlet on maintenance published by the Vermont Judiciary.

Good Luck.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


My recollection is yes, but a call to a Vermont attorney will confirm my hunch.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer