Skip to main content

Is there a age in which the parent is no longer responsible for paying for medical copays ,the child is 20 yrs old and working

Manchester, NH |

I (stepdad) pay for the medical insurance for all the children the dad is paying for half the copays even though he doesn't have to and now wants me to pay my half or he will take me to court. The child told him he can pay his own copays but the father refuses to let him (he is 20 yrs old ) do I have to pay him and can I charge him for half of what I pay for medical insurance . I just want to tell him to stop paying for anything that he's off the hook but he wants us to spend money on lawyers knowing we really can't afford one. HELP

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have to look at the seperation agreement. If it is silent then you should go modify the agreement.


The answer would be found in the Court's Final Order on this issue. You can contact a local NH divorce attorney and have them review the Order. Typically, an attorney will do this for no charge. The attorney can then provide you with more specific insight as to your options.

Divorce attorneys often encounter questions about uninsured medical expenses. However, this issue was brought before the New Hampshire Supreme Court In the Matter of Cheryl Anne Coderre and Paul A. Coderre on September 30, 2002. The father appealed an by the trial court that ordered him to pay for his children’s uninsured medical expenses and extracurricular activity expenses in addition to the child support ordered under the child support guidelines.

First, the Court determined that uninsured medical expenses are extraordinary expenses that are not included in child support guidelines. The Court looked at the statute regulating child support RSA 458-C and determined that the calculations under the guidelines are presumed to be correct but that the court may adjust the guidelines either upward or downward if it deems this deviation is warranted. More specifically looking at RSA 458-C:5, I(a) which states that the trial court “may deviate from the guideline support amount if it finds that a child will incur ongoing extraordinary medical expenses.”

Therefore, the Court upheld the trial court’s order for payment of uninsured health insurance.
In sum, a court has discretion to award uninsured medical expenses that are separate from the child support award determined by the guidelines. However, typically these obligations terminate when the child support obligation terminates.

The information contained in any answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject material. No recipients of answers should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any posting without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue with an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this Web site and/or any answers provided contains information that may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. FAMILYLEGAL, and Attorney Runge, expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this site. Any information sent via the Internet, this website, or e-mail is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. The transmission of information on this website, in part or in whole, and/or communication with FAMILYLEGAL, and/or Attorney Runge, via e-mail through this site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between FAMILYLEGAL and any recipients. The formation of an attorney-client relationship requires a consideration of multiple factors including possible conflicts of interest. Please do not convey to us any information you regard as confidential until a formal attorney-client relationship has been established. The Firm does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party that may be accessed through this Web site. Permission is given for the downloading and temporary storage of one or more of these pages for the purposes of viewing on a personal computer. The contents of this site are protected by copyright and, apart from the permission stated, the reproduction, permanent storage, or retransmission of the contents of this site is prohibited without the prior written consent of FAMILYLEGAL. ATTORNEY ADVERTISING NOTICE FAMILYLEGAL is a national Law Firm. Jeffrey A. Runge is the President & CEO and is licensed to practice law in the states of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Prior Results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for Bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. FAMILYLEGAL is a registered trademark of Family Legal Service, P.C., a New Hampshire professional Corporation.


I am completely confused. How is there any order requiring you, as step-father, to pay anything? That being said, if there is a New Hampshire support order that requires you to pay these expenses, this typically ends once the child is 18 and has graduated from high school. My recommendation would be to have an attorney review any applicable orders to provide you with specific advice.

Disclaimer: This response is offered for educational purpose only. This response in no way creates an attorney-client relationship between Anna Goulet Zimmerman/Law Office of Manning & Zimmerman, PLLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided, and could be different if additional facts were known.