My child plugged in her school issued laptop to charge it while at school and was shocked. It caused the muscle in her arm to contract and it would not relax. The school nurse suggested she be checked out. She was taken by us to the ER where they checked to make sure her heart was ok by doing an EKG and echocardiogram. We called the school to find out if they were going to pay our coinsurance after our medical ins pays. They didn't even now it happened because the teacher never filed a report or had the outlet checked. A week and a half later they checked the outlet and said it is fine so they are not liable to pay the medical bills because it was an accident.
They are likely correct. Unless there is something even beyond mere negligence, they are not responsible. There is good reason for this. Taxpayers don't want to pay more taxes to pay medical bills. It falls on you and your insurance, and you eat the difference.
This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.
Years licensed, work experience, educationLegal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awardsLegal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagementsDiscipline