Skip to main content

Is the same judge thats puts a person on probation, the same judge that terminates it?

Pompano Beach, FL |

If the judge that puts a person on probation, says that they( the person on probation) can terminate early when all terms of their probation is complete, will it be that same judge that terminates the probation early or otherwise?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


In most cases, but it depends on the county. Usually you will file the motion to terminate probation in the division you were in when you plead to the charge. If the judge has moved, the motion will be heard by the judge currently sitting in that division.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


In Broward County it would be the same judge that originally placed you on probation. Unless, as my colleague pointed out, the judge has been reassigned to another division. Good Luck

An attorney/client relationship is NOT established simply by virtue of The Law Offices of Evan M. Kleiman, P.A. answering any questions herein. Such a relationship will only be established by a formal agreement between the parties.


Yes, in almost all cases, in most counties. However, as indicated, in the event that the judge has moved or vacated the bench for whatever reason, the judge currently sitting in that capacity would hear the matter.


generall speaking, absent some intervening factor, yes.

of course, you and i are not forming an attorney client relationship. Representation in Florida Courts and Federal courts nationwide. Argued at the United States Supreme Court,


Probably, but it shouldn't matter to the probationer too much. As the other attorneys have stated, just file the motion and the clerk will set it with the appropriate judge. There are times when judges get re-assigned to different divisions or areas of practice (family, civil, etc.). That said, if you've been compliant with the terms of probation, you should be in good shape, no matter the judge. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer