Skip to main content

Is the fact I just don't love my wife grounds for divorce?

Lake Worth, FL |

Been married over 20 years, 2 grown kids. We are not intimate, I find her unattractive given she looks like a man. Has extreme distrust for me. This feels like a prison sentence. I have had no joy or happiness for most of the union.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Avvo Email

In Florida, once the state has jurisdiction, the only pre requisite for
granting a dissolution of marriage is for one spuse to insist that the
marriage is irretrievably broken. This is why Florida is deemed a “No
Fault” state.

Thomas R. Peppler, Esq.

Hochman and Peppler, LLC



Florida is a "no fault" state. In order to be entitiled to a divorce you need to be a resident of Florida for at least six months and no grounds other than you want a divorce.


The only requirements for a divorce in Florida is that you fulfill the residency requirement of at least six months and that your marriage be "irretrieveably broken." If one of the two parties of the marriage wants out for any reason, then you fulfill that requirement.

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. Longwell Lawyers



You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


Sorry, my answer posted before I could finish. As I mentioned, the answer is yes because in FL there are no "grounds" for divorce, you just have to show that the marriage is irretrievably broken, which by your statements above show that it is. You must also be a resident for 6 months before filing. When ready to do so, contact an attorney in your area.


As the other attorneys have advised you can obtain a divorce based upon your loss of affection for your wife. However, you should consult with an attorney to determine what effect the divorce will have upon you from a financial stand point after the divorce.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.


Yes. Florida is a "no fault" divorce state. That means the only reason you need is that the marriage is irretrievably broken. In other words, as long as one person doesn't want to be married anymore then that is a basis for divorce.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.