Skip to main content

Is the EAD for DACA renewable from outside the US? Do we need to provide any supporting documentation for renewal? What kind?

Bayshore, NY |

I am interested in working for an organization based in the US (with factory in China). The position is for teaching the children of the factory-workers in a school, with the school owned by the CEO of organization/company. They require work authorization EAD to work there (though it's tax exempt for employee) b/c the US organization pays salary. If I were to work for them in China with my current DACA EAD, can I renew from overseas (if I dont' have advance parole and can't return to renew---there are no physical presence requirements for renewal right?).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The U.S. does not require you to have an EAD to work in China, however you may be able to get your EAD extended. More to the point, the question is how will you return to the U.S. without an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa?

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You do not need an EAD to work outside the U.S.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


EADs are only good for employment IN the US. They do not control employment outside the US. Additionally, to be outside the US, you would need to have advance parole, which might not be granted for work abroad.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer