Skip to main content

Is the divorce/custody/child support arrangement still valid if the attorney withdraws from the case because of non payment?

Amite, LA |

My wife hired the attorney and agreed to a payment method. She made two payments and then stopped months ago. The attorney's secretary stated that the attorney withdrew from the case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If it was submitted to the court and the judge signed off on it, then yes it is a valid divorce decree.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.


If the judge signed the judgment on custody then that judgment is valid. The divorce may not have been completed if it was the type that required the parties to be separated for a year so you may want to consult your own attorney about completing the divorce. Either party can complete an Article 102 divorce.

Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your case. The answer given is only intended to provide general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities.


The withdrawal of the attorney would have no effect on a judgment of the court.

This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.