Skip to main content

Is the carry/use of air guns and as a non-firing, non-loaded prop legal in Iowa City, IA? How should I notify police about use?

Iowa City, IA |

I'm planning on shooting a short film on private property in Iowa City , some shots will be outdoors near the street . We are planning on using a realistic looking handgun replica ( metal air soft gun ) during the shoot . In all the outdoors shots , it will be in the character's waist band . Our local law regarding air rifles and toy guns reads as follows : 8 - 7 - 3 : A . Discharge Prohibited : It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or cause to be discharged any air rifle , toy pistol , toy gun or other toy arms or slingshot , loaded with leaden or other dangerous missiles , at any time or under any circumstances within the city limits . ( 1978 Code undefined - 65 ) B . Carrying Prohibited : It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or carry any toy pistol , toy gun or other toy

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I don't see any value in notifying police about how you are going to violate the law. If you want to get around the ordinance, you should probably seek some kind of permit, exception, waiver or other blessing from the City Council.

You can reach our offices directly at (515) 288-6041. The comments listed here are of a general nature and should not be understood to create a formal attorney-client relationship -- that is, I am not, and I cannot give you legal advice here. I am licensed in Iowa and to become your attorney, I need to understand the particular facts and circumstances of your legal question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer