Skip to main content

Is the 7fam 1156.12 immigration law retroactive?

Los Angeles, CA |

My adult daughter would have qualified for citizenship under this law. However, we were unaware of it when we were in the US inn the 1990s. We are now overseas and wish to return to live in the US so was wondering if this law is retroactive? It says a person can still apply for a certificate of citizenship even though the law has been repealed. Is this correct? If so we would need the services of a good immigration lawyer. Can anyone help? Thank you.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes, assuming you can document that she qualified back in the 1990's. So the problem might be getting that documentation - especially if you are not currently living in the U.S. That's why you need a "good immigration lawyer".
Ron Tasoff
Certified Immigration Law Specialist*
Law Offices of Tasoff and Tasoff
16255 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1000
Encino, California 91436
(818) 788-8900


Her citizenship may have come about by operation of the law. Let's talk in more detail.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
Morales PLLC

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For more information please contact us at


Whether your child is a US citizen depends on facts not in your posting.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer