Skip to main content

Is my girlfriend able to live with me ?

Wilkinson, IN |

I'm 16, she's 15. Her parents are abusive, their house is falling apart( mold, roof caving in etc ), front door doesn't lock and are calling her names and making her depressed all the time and not letting her get any help from anyone, also her mother is divorced and living with a guy that is already breaking laws as it is. What are the odds that if we call the cops in that she'd be aloud to live with us and not get sent across to the whole other side of the USA to her father if her father is fine with her living over here with us ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In California the answer is possibly if you mean live with your family. But there a major custody issues that need to be addressed. If your girlfriend is being abused she can go to to child protective services for your community.

As well, there are probably papers and custody issues in relationship to the divorce. So most likely the Court would need to be contacted.

You should contact local counsel or legal aid in your community.

Good Luck

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Law Offices of Richard M. Katz 1122 East Green Street Pasadena, Ca. 91106 (626) 275-4162 (626) 796-6333 (626) 796-5615 facsimile


She might be able to live with you, but it's not as simple as just calling the police. First of all, if conditions are as bad as you've described, then it may be necessary to call Child Protective Services to investigate. Second, it may be necessary for your parents/guardians to try to get a guardianship over your girlfriend. (I'm assuming you live with your family.) If they do that, then she could live with you. It helps that her dad will consent. However, if your girlfriend just moves in with you without any court order or CPS action, your parents could be in a lot of trouble, since your girlfriend's mom has a constitutional right to her kids unless and until the court steps in.

Kate Flood
Indianapolis divorce lawyer

The foregoing is not intended to be specific legal advice, but rather general information. Because of the nature of this online, non-confidential forum, and because each and every family law case is different, it is impossible for any attorney to consider all of the facts of your specific case and provide a concrete answer. If you require specific legal advice, you should retain a qualified attorney in your area.