Skip to main content

Is my employer required to pay for damage or my car insurance deductible for accident while travelling to a work meeting?

Jacksonville, FL |

I was travelling for an appointment when a semi tire tread came out from under the semi truck in front of me. It did $1600 damage. I have personal car insurance with $500 deductible. Is my employer required to at least pay my deductible?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


If you were driving a company car, your employer will take care of the deductible. If you were driving your car. The other party is responsible for all your damages. If he got away then you have to turn it to your own insurance. and I am afraid pay for your own deductible. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


I concur with Attorney Juarez.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Your employer is not responsible for your vehicle.




I want to first ask whether or not you have an agreement with your employer regarding traveling to and from meetings and also whether you are compensated for travel?


I do not think so. Normally, damage to a personal vehicle is not covered by your employer but would be covered by the insurance company of the negligent trucker, which caused the damage. I would have to hear more details regarding your position with your company to give a most concise answer.


You're in a particularly sticky situation because you did not get the trucker's policy information. It never hurts to ask your employer to cover at least your collision deductible since you were engaged in a work activity. Good luck. I see these tire tread issues all the time. They can cause severe injuries in some circumstances. Glad you're OK.

My answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or establish any attorney-client relationship.


No he is not.However, did you obtain the identity of the trucking company and file a claim against them? Did you report the incident to the police? If the truck took off and you were not able to identify it, you may well have a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage, which generally does not have a high deductible, if any. You should review your insurance policy to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage which will pay for property damage.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer