Is my attorney required to respond to my emails?

Sharpsburg, GA |

I've sent my attorney two emails over the past several weeks requesting an update on my case and he's not responding. My phone isn't working properly right now so email is my only means of communication unless I use my husband's cell phone, and he's at work most of the day. I called my attorney from my husband's phone, gave him my husband's phone number, and asked that he call me back or email me. Still no response. I've worked with attorneys in the past and they always responded to their clients' emails with no problems. I get the impression that he's uncomfortable communicating with me by email. Is there anything dictating proper etiquette for communications between attorneys and their clients? Are you allowed to ignore client emails without cause?

Filed under: Professional ethics

Some attorneys do not like email. However it is INEXCUSABLE for a lawyer not to respond in several weeks to calls and emails. Make one more phone call to the lawyer and advise him that you will have to file a state bar complaint if you don't receive a response. Give him a generous 72 hours. And then contact the state bar to file your complaint (which must be written).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Thank you for answering my question, Mr. Ashman. Yours is one of the only helpful answers that I've received so far that directly addresses my issue and gives me a solution in the event that my attorney continues to ignore my communications. I am truly grateful.

This is one instance where snail mail letters are an ideal, effective and inexpensive method of seeking communications and documenting attempt at communications. Use trackable mail such as USPS Priority Mail (more subtle) or if you want to put a finer point on it, Certified Mail, Return Receipt requested (someone has to sign for the delivery and you get the green return card as proof).

Asking for a face to face meeting at the lawyer's earliest convenience is also effective.

In this modern world, unfortunately, emails and telephone calls, voice mails, and message slips can be ignored or overlooked when attorneys are busy and the lack of response may be unintentional, although still not in conformance with ethical, contractual and professional obligations.

But in this day and age, written letters tend to be noticed even more than in the past because of their rarity and the effort to put something on paper and find a postage stamp rather than pressing the return key on a computer or smartphone.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

This is excellent advise, Mr. Lebowitz. I have worked for attorneys and other professionals in the past and they always responded to their clients' emails in a prompt and professional manner. Most modern professionals are comfortable with emailing with their clients about general questions, so I'm not sure why this is a problem with my attorney. After all, I'm only following up on what was discussed in our last telephone conversation. I will take your advise and follow up with him by certified mail. My concern about only meeting with him in person is that he's not reliable or consistent in his oral communications to me, so I would like to have some things in writing. Thank you again for your suggestion.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Another point: Some attorneys, especially those of a certain age who started practice in a time of lots of secretaries to transcribe their dictation tapes and scribblings on yellow legal pads, aren't comfortable with computers, keyboards or email. It's not so much that they aren't trying to leave electronic breadcrumbs as much as email and text messaging is something their kids do, not them. A lot of them are "telephone guys", but when things get busy, the triage they do with their pink "While You Were Out" slips leaves everything but the brushfires and imminent court appearances in the "mañana" pile at the bottom of the stack.

Bret Stuart Moore

Bret Stuart Moore

Just wanted to add, if he's not "reliable or consistent in his oral communications," I'd suggest you get another lawyer.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Absolutely, Mr. Moore. It doesn't matter by which means the attorney communicates, but that he tries to communicate. Unreturned phone calls are one of the biggest sources of client complaints and state bar disciplinary actions. I know from personal experience that emails are easier to miss or go into your spam filters than phone calls where the voice mails or pink message slips are harder to ignore, especially when they pile up. Unfortunately, many attorneys don't empathize with their client's needs for reassurance and only think they have to make/return a call when there's a major status update in someone's case to report.

An attorney is required to communicate with their client. See Georgia Rules of Professional Conduct, R. 1.4. You're not supposed to ignore client communications "without cause," although what constitutes "ignoring" may be up for debate. You may want to make sure you've got the right e-mail address. Or that your spam folder isn't catching/flagging your attorney's responses to you. If it really is a total failure to communicate, you're well within your rights to terminate the attorney-client relationship. But, that said, there may be a justifiable reason for the apparent lack of communication... I'd at least pay an in person visit to the office to see what's up.