Is Manifest Non Obstante Veridicto Network a scam? And is one of its lawyers, Rangile Santiago (Del Ray, FL) part of this scam?

New York, NY |

My brother is in prison in Florida. This Network (based in NYC) contacted him and claimed they could reduce his prison sentence, if his family would invest $300 for their "pro bono" work. Our family sent the money back in August of 2009, and they've done nothing for us. I'm now reading on various websites that the Network is a scam. I'd be interested first in finding out if this is so. Who should I contact? The Better Business Bureau? The State Attorney's Office in NY (where the Network claims to be housed) or in FL (where Rangile Santiago practices)? Or the American Bar Association? I look forward to some definitive answers.

If this attorney is part of a scam I suggest you contact the grievance committee (or whatever other body has jurisdiction over the licensing and regulation of attorneys) in Florida and report him. As far as the "network" located in NY you may consider contacting the NYS Attorney General. Good luck.

Your suggestions to the commenter are accurate as far as options available to them. But as a practicing and licesned attorney in good standing with the Florida Bar I would have appreciated a phone call from you before you post a general statement that infers I am involved in an illegal activity. Our organization has been in existence for ten years and have zero complaints from any client in that span. The illogical and persistent negative statements posted on the internet are due to non client anonymous persons with an agenda to besmirch our organization's good work. A simple cursory investigation of the Florida Bar would have yielded you the opportunity to squelch some of these false statements. Instead you have provided additional internet postings that seem to indicate there maybe something amiss. Ms. Rangile A. Santiago, Esq. Florida Bar member in good standing.

Christopher Jude Pelli

Christopher Jude Pelli

Welcome to the Internet.

Will respond as needed.

I understand that the internet brings such issues to the forefront but as attorneys we should not perpetuate this nonsensical behavior as it affects those inmates and their families that need Pro Bono help we are offering. Comments that infer negative leanings do cause damage. Ms. Rangile A. Santiago, Esq. Florida Bar member in good standing.

I have never heard of this individual or the network. If you suspect that fraud and criminal scams are taking place, I would contact the State Attorney General's Office in both Florida and NY, as well as filing a formal complaint with the Bar Association where the lawyer is licensed.

Richard Southard
212-385-8600
I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office who has been specializing in criminal law for over 15 years. I offer free consultations by telephone, in-office or by videoconference.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com

I too have neither heard of the attorney or the "network". They have an internet presence and work out of New York. Contact First Department Disciplinary Committee for New York & Bronx Counties:

Departmental Disciplinary Committee for the First Department
61 Broadway, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10006
(212) 401-0800