Skip to main content

Is judgment of divorce the actual divorce decree?

North Arlington, NJ |

I filed for an uncontested divorce just 2 weeks ago. My case got a judge assigned but never made it to the judge's calendar. Today I received UD-11. Last page says ENTER and has the judge's signature. Does that mean my divorce is final? Should I mail a copy of this document to my ex? Or is there a different document I should be getting from the court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Something doesn't sound right. You can't get a divorce decree 2 weeks after filing the initial complaint for divorce. You must serve a notice of the divorce, a summons attached to the complaint to give them an opportunity to respond. If you have no property or children, it doesn't matter, the other party has 35 days to respond. So in short, something is not right in your filing. Call the family law clerk to get more instruction on this. Or better yet get an attorney to save time and hassle.

The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.



My ex was served, responded and signed. That was filed 2 weeeks ago.

Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

Andrzej Piotr Szymanski


You still need to enter default.


I agree with my colleague. Consult with an attorney to review what is going on with your case. An attorney can't give you an opinion about a document without seeing it.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


I agree with my colleagues. You should consider meeting with an attorney well-versed in these areas.

Additionally, below are links to articles and information that may assist you with your issue.

Good luck.
Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
The Micklin Law Group
187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
Nutley, NJ 07110

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.