Skip to main content

Is it unusual for someones charges to be deleted from the clerk of court docket?

New Port Richey, FL |

(Its either a glitch (as my colleague suggested) or it was sealed or expunged - which would remove it from the Clerk's / public records.) This was a prior answer on your site. What if it was an open case not yet been sentenced. Actually was a FTA and overnight, GONE! Can you seal or expunge an unfinished case? No evidence of the case or case number even existing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You cannot seal or expunge an open case or a case in which you are still on probation. Remember, online dockets are not always accurate, so either it's a mistake by the clerk or user error.


Unusual is an understatement! An active case cannot be sealed/expunged. Therefore, it seems likely that the issue rests either with the Clerk's office or a user error in searching for the case. Best advice is contact your lawyer and have him make contact with the clerk's office to figure things out! Good luck!

This answer is based on the facts presented in your question. It does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for general informational purposes. The facts of each case are unique. Therefore, it is critical to consult with qualified legal counsel, with whom information can be assessed, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions. Best of Luck! If you found my answer helpful, please select it as the "best answer".


I agree with my colleagues and would add the danger is that it's your error i which case one of these days you are going to get an unpleasant surprise.

Because I was recently congratulated by an Avvo questioner for having the courage not to use a disclaimer, let me make it clear that I have always answered questions subject to the Avvo general disclaimer. The answers I give are for educational purposes and not to be relied upon for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended or established by virtue of these answers.


As the Clerk's offices around the state transition to electronic filing and records-keeping, we are seeing an increase in misfiled documents. If a case number is scribbled or smudged, or the scanned document is mis-keyed when it is routed to a file on the Clerk's server, it could have been posted by mistake and removed when the error was found.

If the FTA did belong to the person in whose file it appeared, there should have been some record order striking or recalling the warrant or charge. The only explanation I can think of where that type of correction might not show, would be be where it had been done under seal, say in the case of someone who was acting as a confidential informant.

Please remember that Q & A forums such as this one are intended to provide general information, not specific legal advice upon which you should rely in making decisions about your case. Before making any such decisions regarding your case, please consult a lawyer .


You cannot seal or expunge an open case. Most likely what has happened is there is a warrant due to the FTA. In some counties, when there is an active warrant, the remove, or hide, the case from the general public so the defendant doesn't know there is a warrant and will not flee the area. You should contact a lawyer and have them track down your case and start working to fix the problem. Just because you can no longer see it on a Clerk of Court website, doesn't mean that it has gone away.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer