Skip to main content

Is it true that not all juvenile records get reported to the ncic?

Sacramento, CA |

Some attorneys told me this and said that DOJ rarely submits minor misdemeanor and juvenile cases to the ncic.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No one knows for sure, but the shadow does. I would not rely on this.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


Google NCIC and read down the page. The website will tell you the kinds of crimes that are listed and reported there.


That information isn't something they share. They operate in the shadows.

Answering your questions on this forum does NOT constitute the forming of an attorney/client relationship. The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter based on any opinion posted on this forum. Rather, you should directly consult with an attorney about the particulars of your case before making ANY decisions.


My experience is that NCIC will accept and retain almost any data reported by CA Dept of Justice. Their categories for reporting are much broader than those of the State Dept of Justice. Moreover, once any data is reported to NCIC, the feds do not honor state court orders or statutes for removal, destructions, etc. The feds are adamant that "once in, data does not come out." I have even been involved in part of a case where a federal court issued an order for removal of NCIC data and the fed agency did not comply -- an indication to me that this is a very difficult issue, practically as well as legally.

Data submittal policies by CA D of J has been inconsistent over the past years and it is very difficult to get a straight statement of policy from the CA AG.

I have NCIC records on my desk this very moment that disclose juvenile adjudications for minor crimes. I also have clients who freely admit to juvenile criminal history, but their admitted events are not reported on the NCIC records that are obtainable by the subject.

My view is that this is an issue where attorneys can advise clients of the potential for NCIC record retention and reporting, but cannot reliably predict what will in fact occur in any given matter. Congressional action could, of course, clean this issue up, but there is not currently anything on the agenda in this subject area.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer