Is it too late to report a rape?

Seattle, WA |

I'm a 16 year old girl and I was raped in kindergarten by my female teacher. The abuse occurred multiple times over the course of the school year and included both vaginal and anal penetration. I only began to talk about this last year with my counselor whom I was already seeing and I didn't want to report it, talk about it or think about it. But now I'm starting to think that I will never be able to fully heal if I do not report her but my school counselor (who found out about the rape) made me talk to CPS about the rape and they said it was too late to report it. Is this true? And if its not true and I were to report it, what would happen and what would I have to do.

Filed under: Child abuse

CPS would decline to investigate since the incidents happened so many years ago and you, presumably, are not currently having any contact with the alleged abuser.

However, the police would want to investigate since the time limit for the government to prosecute the teacher would not expire until you are 28.

The school where the teacher is now working would want to investigate to prevent harm to any current student.

You have civil causes of action against both the teacher and the school district for which she worked at the time.

There are attorneys who specialized pursuing sexual abuse that happened many years ago. In your case, the time limit probably ends 3 years after you turn 18 since the clock does not start running until your turn 18 and personal injury cases in WA generally have a time limit of 3 years.

However, you do not want to delay. The longer you wait, the more difficult it may get to obtain sufficient evidence to support your case.

You should enlist the help of one or more trusted adults to contact the police and attorneys.

Do you know what kind of evidence they would need to collect and how they would go about doing that?

First, and most importantly, I am sorry for what has happened to you and your situation. Ms. Nguyen has set forth very good answers to your questions. There are many good lawyers out there that are thoughtful and handle these types of claims. Our firm has handled these types of claims in the past. I wish you the best of luck with your situation and take some time to review what Ms. Nguyen has outlined. www.stritmatter.com