Skip to main content

Is it the same process to reverse my legal name change back to my birth name?

Port Orchard, WA |


I changed my name legally in Kitsap County about 6 years ago for personal family reasons. Due to a change in circumstances with my immediate family, I am wanting to reverse the legal name change and resume using the exact name on my birth certificate.

If I am just requesting a reversal do I have to schedule a hearing and go before a judge again or, would this fall under the rules of family and marriage name change?

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If there is no other court proceeding pending, you would follow the same statute and file a petition for name change. A name change can, however, be received in some family law proceedings like a divorce or adoption.

©Bruce Clement. This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


There is no "reversal" of the first order changing your name. That is, you cannot reopen the case and ask the court to vacate the order changing your name. You can file a new name change petition and ask the court to change your name to any name you want, including the name on your birth certificate.

In WA, the name change petition is filed with the district court where the person lives. In some circumstances, such as the petitioner wanting to seal the petition, the petition would be filed in superior court.

Since you already did the petition once, you should know how easy the name change petition is in WA. There usually is no need to hire an attorney for a name change petition. If there are special circumstances, you can hire an attorney to help you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer