Is it risky getting an immigration lawyer?

Boston, MA |

I want to file a petition to bring my fiance to the US. After looking through everything that needs to be done, I realize it would be easier and safer to hire an immigration lawyer who knows what they're doing. However, is it very risky hiring someone? As a no decision could seriously incapacitate our lives. I have never hired a lawyer and am not familiar with the practices and what to look for. Thanks for any help you could offer.

Petitioning for your fiance is a process that involves several steps and interaction with various agencies. It is possible to go through such a process without a lawyer, but having the help of someone who knows what they're doing will make the process go much more smoothly and ensure that you are doing the right thing at each step. When hiring a lawyer, it is important to look for someone who has the knowledge to help you. It's also important to work with someone you feel you can trust and who provides not only knowledge but good customer service. You can use a website like Avvo to look for lawyers who are knowledgeable and recommended by past clients.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.

It is an important decision, you are right. It is good that you understand you need to hire an immigration lawyer (not a Notario or someone who says they are an expert/lawyer). Anyone you hire should be a member of AILA (American Immigration Lawyer's Association) and should answer all of your questions (or at least do their best to) at the consultation. Choosing a lawyer is a personal decision so I would suggest making a few appointments and seeing who you feel comfortable with. Good Luck.

Massachusetts Immigration Attorney
www.gagarinlaw.com
508 455 4241
Framingham and Boston Offices Available

Try speaking to a couple of experience immigration attorney about your case and see who you are comfortable with. It does not hurt to talk.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Hello,
I can understand that the decision to hire an immigration attorney can be a daunting one. My suggestion would be to contact with a few attorneys, meet with them in person (if they offer free consultations) and ask many questions. Then hire the one you are most comfortable with and who seems to have the experience and expertise necessary to handle your matter.

Also keep in mind that while it is a great idea for attorneys to have memberships at several organizations, membership in such organizations does not reflect an attorneys abilities and expertise.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
30 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

(617) 515-5545
www.KavajaLaw.com

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

Do your research and speak to a few attorneys. retain the person who you feel more comfortable with.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.