Skip to main content

Is it right for me to avoid a civil lawsuit against me.

Philadelphia, PA |

I was in a car accident about 2yrs ago involving a child. I was under my stepdads insurance as a second driver. Now they have a civil lawsuit against me suing me for 50k. Im only 23 years old and I dont have that! I dont know how to approach the situation or how to deal with it. I cant afford a lawyer nor can I afford what im being sued for. What are the opinions that I have dealin with this kind of situation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Your stepdads insurance has to defend you. Contact the insurance company

Contact me for further detailed questions and answers. 215-561-0877 DISCLAIMER: Matthew Solomon is licensed to practice law in both the State of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey.This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. This answer does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Turn this over to your step-dad's insurance. They should hire a lawyer for you to defend the claim.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created through the use of this website or by answering this particular post. Each claim is different and must be judged on its own merits. The response herein does not constitute legal advice. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Questions may not include significant and important facts that could significantly change the reply. Mr. Price is licensed in MO only and strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her particular state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


As stated, call your stepdad's insurance company and let them know that you have been served. they will appoint an attorney for you.


I am hoping that your step-father's insurance is already aware of the accident. They will handle it. You just need to cooperate with them as they work through the process. Don't panic about it. This is why we have insurance.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.


Your stepdad's insurance company will defend.


Report this to your stepdad's insurance company RIGHT NOW. They should provide you with an attorney and handle everything (if you are covered under the insurance policy). If they deny your claim, get an experienced personal injury and insurance coverage attorney's assistance immediately. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


If you were in an automobile accident and another person was injured, you are responsible for their damages if you are at fault for the accident. If covered under a policy of automobile insurance and are served with a lawsuit regarding the claim, notify your insurance company immediately and provide then a copy of the paperwork. Insurance provides indemnification and defense of claims arising from automobile accidents where the insured was at fault.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer