Skip to main content

Is it required in NC that an attorney draw up deeds for real estate transfers?

Austin, TX |

I will be buying and selling several NC properties, and don't want to have any difficulties. Can I go by the deed into my name and just change the details on the deeds to my buyers?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The history of Real Estate title issues and contested litigation is peppered by 'do it yourself' documents (and even attorney error). Nothing is required in life except death and taxes, as is said, but certain things are not recommended. Every single piece of property that you buy and sell will have a correct legal description and the correct reservations and exceptions necessary for the transaction. Any mistake in the drafting of these, if you are doing it yourself, will become fully your own fault and responsibility. I recommend getting in with a good commercial real estate attorney and seek a good rate with the understanding that it will be for ongoing work.


An attorney is not required - but is highly recommended - to prepare your deeds.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer