Skip to main content

Is it required in Florida for the landlord to send damage letter certified mail

Miami, FL |

My landlord has not sent me my deposit or a letter stating damages in a certified letter. He sent it in a small gift card envelope only returning 15% of my deposit. The law states it must be certified mail and notifying me of my right to refuse..that wasn't including. Can I receive a full refund and how do I go about doing so

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In order for a landlord to be entitled to make a claim on any portion of your security deposit two things need to happen: 1) your lease must provide for the security deposit being used for the purpose it is being used for and 2) the landlord must provide the proper notice under Chapter 83 of the Florida Statutes. Section 83.49(3)(a) states: Upon the vacating of the premises for termination of the lease, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim on the security deposit, the landlord shall have 15 days to return the security deposit together with interest if otherwise required, or the landlord shall have 30 days to give the tenant written notice by certified mail to the tenant’s last known mailing address of his or her intention to impose a claim on the deposit and the reason for imposing the claim. The notice shall contain a statement in substantially the following form:
This is a notice of my intention to impose a claim for damages in the amount of upon your security deposit, due to . It is sent to you as required by s. 83.49(3), Florida Statutes. You are hereby notified that you must object in writing to this deduction from your security deposit within 15 days from the time you receive this notice or I will be authorized to deduct my claim from your security deposit. Your objection must be sent to (landlord’s address). If the landlord fails to give the required notice within the 30-day period, he or she forfeits the right to impose a claim upon the security deposit.

If the landlord does not voluntarily return your full security deposit, whether through communication with you or your attorney, you will need to sue them for it. You are entitled to prevailing party attorney's fees in that suit. However, if you sue them, be prepared for a countersuit for damage to the property if there is any. That's because the landlord is still entitled to go after you for damages to the property even though he/she may have waived their rights to the deposit itself.

One last thing you need to be aware of, Section 83(5) states: Except when otherwise provided by the terms of a written lease, any tenant who vacates or abandons the premises prior to the expiration of the term specified in the written lease, or any tenant who vacates or abandons premises which are the subject of a tenancy from week to week, month to month, quarter to quarter, or year to year, shall give at least 7 days’ written notice by certified mail or personal delivery to the landlord prior to vacating or abandoning the premises which notice shall include the address where the tenant may be reached. Failure to give such notice shall relieve the landlord of the notice requirement of paragraph (3)(a) but shall not waive any right the tenant may have to the security deposit or any part of it.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: This is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. Additionally, my answering your question does not make me your attorney or create an attorney-client relationship. The response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.



His claim was for furniture removal 200, removing shower curtain 150, removing smoke smell 250, extended month stay 100...but I gave proper notice of leaving

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer