Skip to main content

Is it possible to sue or get a settlement for malpractice is Florida?

Tampa, FL |

I had a prostatectomy about 18 months ago and am having continuing problems that I was told virtually do not happen.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I'm sorry your procedure did not go well. Yes, you can bring an action for med mal in Florida but the statute of limitations is 2 years so you should speak to a lawyer soon. There are presuit requirements that take some time.

This response is intended as only general legal information and not specific legal advice for your case. You should consult with an attorney for legal advice. You may contact our statewide offices for a consultation, toll free at 1-866-318-4878. Main office Gainesville.


It almost sounds like you are saying that you were guaranteed results. I would need more information to evaluate anyone trial claim, including the dates and the names of there users who performed the procedure. In order to successfully pursue a claim you would need to find a like provider who says that the care given fell below the standard of care and caused you permanent damages. You have two years from the time you knew or should have known to take steps to preserve your claim.


There is no possible way any attorney can evaluate a case based on this little information. Use AVVOs Find a Lawyer function and consult a malpractice lawyer in Tampa.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.


You can have a local malpractice lawyer order your medical records to review.

Armando R. Payas

Armando R. Payas


You will need to move quickly as there is a two year statute of limitations. A petition to extend the statute of limitations can be filed in the county where the surgery took place which if filed before the statute of limitations has run will extend the statute of limitations for an addittional 90 days. Write down everything the doctor told you about the risks for the procedure and consult an attorney as soon as possible. He will want to review the consents that were signed to determine if the problems you are having were appropriately discussed and will have the records reviewed by an expert to determine if there was negligence.


Need much more information, however generally in Florida you have a two year statutue of limitations to bring a claim when medical malpractice is involved. Seek advice of an experienced medical malpractice attorney immediately so you do not run the risk of your case been barred from recovery.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer