Skip to main content

Is it possible to shorten the probation time for a first time DUI offender?

Huntington Beach, CA |

I was convicted of a DUI in August 2010 and was placed on probation for three years. I worry this scar on my record will prevent me from getting the jobs I want, as I've just graduated from college, and am trying to get my DUI expunged but have learned this is impossible unless I've completed probation. I've completed all my probation terms but don't have a probation officer, so who should I contact if I want to get this accomplished?

Is shortening it even possible? If so, would it be expensive? And finally, I'm currently teaching English outside the country, would I be able to complete this process while not in my state of conviction?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


That would be up to the court.


Its possible and likely if you pitch it right to the judge and the DA. People hire attorneys to do this others do it themselves. Sometimes attorneys are good at working behind the scenes to make sure it goes smoothly. Cost would be minimal in the entire scheme of the legal profession. Maybe as low as $500 and as high as $1500. But I'm only guessing.

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.


It is possible to petition the court for early termination of probation (and if granted) expungement. To give you an idea of cost, I would charge $900 for my Attorney fee to handle it. If you would like to discuss further, please contact me.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.


It is possible to shorten probation and even expunge the conviction. Getting such a motion granted may take several court appearances and a lot of leg work. It can be done without you having to ever step foot in the court or even in the state. A reasonable fee would be $1000. However, you must keep in mind that every case is different and nothing is ever 100%. Also remember that even if you are off of probation the court will always know about your case.

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.


The Petitioner would need to file a motion to terminate probation prior to the probationary period expiring. The petioner would have to prove good cause or a hardship for the bench officer to consider prior to terminating probation. Good cause would include - joining the military, applying for a governmental job, immigration application etc...
If the bench officer grants the motion to terminate probation, the pertioner would also be eligible to file for an expungement in order to dismiss the case completely.