Skip to main content

Is it possible to obtain and use a legal alias or assumed name, yet still retain your birth name?

Houston, TX |

I would like to use a different, legal, name for bank accounts and driver's license and such for security purposes, but I don't want to officially change my name. From what I understand, a DBA would not accomplish all of this. I don't know if this is of state or federal interest or not, either. Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are ways to "shield" much, but this is complex enough that you should consult an attorney to sort you precisely WHAT you wish to accomplish and the best approach to getting CLOSE. You will not achieve the anonymity you speak of here, but you might have one or more credit cards, and/or bank accounts (for example) where the D/B/A name functions well. The bank, of course, must have and know YOU, because you must use a social security number or tax id number for tax purposes, etc. Lots going on here.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer