Skip to main content

Is it possible to move out of state and continue to seek social security disability benefits?

Chicago, IL |

My mother applied in Florida for the first time not too long ago and got her first denial letter. Now she's supposed to file an appeal. Is it possible for her to move up north to stay with me since she's not able to do much on her own and doesn't have enough help from anyone, and at the same time continue to seek the benefits? Thank you so much

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Sure, just make sure she lets her local (in Florida) office know the new address, and they can transfer the case.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.


Sure that is done all the time


My colleagues are correct - the answer is yes. Make sure the appeal is filed within 60 days and make sure to let SSA know the new address.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Absolutely. Because Social Security Disability Benefits are a Federal program, the criteria for eligibility and appeals process are basically the same in every state. As the other attorneys have already suggested, your mother would need to contact the local SSA office and notify them of her change of address. For assistance in filing for an appeal, she can consult with an attorney for help with the paperwork, and to improve her chances for receiving the benefits she needs.

The personal injury, car accident and workers compensation information presented on this site should neither be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results portrayed here were dependent on the facts of a particular legal matter and results vary from case to case. Please contact a South Carolina personal injury lawyer or injury attorney at George Sink P.A. for a consultation on your particular case.