Skip to main content

Is it possible to get a court in North Carolina to declare that my widowed sister-in-law and her children are not related to me?

Tyler, TX |

She is a resident of North Carolina. I am a resident of Texas.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Why would you want to do this? Your nieces/nephews ARE related to you.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


I do not see a reason why a Court would order this. It appears that the children are related to you as a niece or nephew. If you feel you are being harassed due to your relationship to them, you may be able to file a restraining order if necessary. You should consult an attorney to discuss the issues you have with this in greater detail.


It would appear that there is a great deal more information needed to answer this question, echoed by the other lawyers' inability to understand WHY you would want to do this. As the other lawyer points out, her children MAY be related to you (if they were in fact also the children of your brother). I too am curious WHY you would want or need to do this. If it is affecting your credit or your former sister-in-law is somehow infamous and you do not want others to associate them with you, then I can begin to understand, somewhat, why you might want to do this, but from a practical standpoint, I cannot recall any process or motion in the law whereby the Court would have jurisdiction to make such a ruling. I am afraid, lacking more information than you have offered, that a North Carolina court would be unable to help you in this regard.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.