Skip to main content

Is it possible to drop back child support arrears in Georgia?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I live in Georgia, my ex-husband owes back child support. He has warrants out and no drivers license. I would like to drop back child support/arrears so he can get his life together and possibly get into the workforce to pay child support. Is it possible for me to drop back child support? As long as he has warrants and no drivers license, he cannot work. if he cannot work, he cannot contribute anything.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Reading between the lines, it sounds like the support is being collected/enforced through Child Support Services. The support is not yours to waive, but is the child's. You have no right whatsoever to deny the child the support lawfully owed by the father.

Yes, it's a vicious cycle.

If he makes less know, then you you could seek a downward modification of the current obligation, which would allow him to make headway on the arrearage. Other options could include seeking assistance from family members to catch up and help make a fresh start.

The information and opinion rendered herein is done as a courtesy and is for general informational purposes. Nothing herein may be construed by any party as to give rise to an attorney-client relationship.

David Michael Lawler

David Michael Lawler


Sorry, "know" is a typo, meaning "now...," it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.


He needs to take care of his warrants/suspension issues and stop making excuses. Are the warrants/suspension for not paying child support? If he didn't pay previously, why would this time be different?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer