Skip to main content

Is it possible to change citizenship while we apply for green card with a different passport?

Salt Lake City, UT |

My wife is going through the process of changing her passport as she is applying for her Singapore passport. While we wait for the Singapore passport to come through, can we go ahead and apply for her dependent green card here in the US? Are there any concerning aspects for this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I don't see why not.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


An immigration attorney should be able to make this a painless process.

The process will be different if she is 'giving up' one citizenship, or just getting a 2nd one.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I do not know why you need to go through all this hassle of a Singapore passport if she want to have a green card, but yes.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.