Skip to main content

Is it possible to advance the start date in Employment Authorization Document (EAD) after receiving the card?

Dallas, TX |

I am a F1 student in my graduating semester. I received my EAD card few days back with the start date on January 20, 2014. I have a job offer and the company wants me to join in the first week of January 2014. Is there any way to advance my start date in EAD card? Please guide me with this regard.

Thanks in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, unfortunately not. Consider yourself lucky that you got your present EAD as part of your OPT, and don't try to "muddy the waters" or otherwise create problems for yourself in attempting to contact USCIS to ask them to "advance" the EAD's validity date. USCIS advances nothing, ever. That having been said, nothing prohibits you from presenting yourself to the employer sooner, as an "observer", perhaps? Talk about this with your school's DSO and see what he or she has to suggest in that regard.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.



Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer