Skip to main content

Is it possible that get unpaid internship with F1 visa ?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a student in Language school in L.A , my class will be finish in September 14th , I applied an unpaid internship for mechanical engineering to a company which is in Florida , and they accepted me for October 1st , my F1 visa will finish in June 2013 , but I heard about when I will finish language class I can stay in U.S just for 2 months ( even if my visa will finish in June 2013) . Can I get that unpaid internship with F1 visa ? If I need to change visa status , can I do it in U.S ? Can you help me please ? I dont want to miss that chance , what should i need to do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to meet privately with an immigration attorney who can help you understand the various issues and procedures at play in your situation. AVVO cannot be a substitute for solid, individualized legal counsel.

THIS ANSWER IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Immigration is complicated and the wrong action can have serious consequences. Never take action in your case based solely on general information like is offered here. Speak to an attorney who can give you specific advice about your own situation.


If you are an ESL student, I don't think so. There may be chances for changing your status or for pursuing your major. For all your options, consult with an immigration attorney.


I agree with the other attorneys ... even if it is unpaid ... it is 'work'.

You need to meet with the foreign student adviser and an attorney before doing anything.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer