Skip to main content

Is it possible not to have lawsuit documents published on internet?

Philadelphia, PA |

I'm thinking about pursuing a defamation lawsuit, but don't want media coverage of it or internet publication of the court files, which will make the defamation statements more widely publicized than it was before, compounding the harm. Is it possible to pursue the lawsuit without having these documents publicized? Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Pleadings in a lawsuit (Summons & Complaint, etc.) are public records. The Court is not going to publicize them them, but they can be found. They can also be found just by going to the Clerk's office. Unless it is a noteworthy case or one of the parties is a public figure it is not likely the media will pick up on it or care. You should address this concern with your attorney.

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


They will be public records, unless you can convince the judge to seal them.

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.


After the suit is filed you can make a motion for a gag order which would prevent anyone involved in the case from speaking about the case to the media. However, as stated by others here, the pleadings are a matter of public record, easily obtained from the Clerk of the Court and capable of reproduction with impunity. You might speak with a lawyer to see if you can have the complaint drafted in a way to protect further dissemination of the defamatory statements.

This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship and is just my opinion based upon the limited facts presented.


Streisand effect: always a powerful consideration in defamation claims.
"The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose attempt in 2003 to suppress photographs of her residence in Malibu, California, inadvertently generated further publicity. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters, to suppress numbers, files and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions..."

It is extremely unlikely that you can convince a court to order your matter sealed to take it out of the public record. If you can, the court will likely be overruled if anyone -- including press or public interest judiciary watchdogs -- presses the matter with an appeals court. But you might ask your attorney to investigate or negotiate with the targeted defendant a private arbitration in lieu of civil action, or even a resort to "private judging" -- horrendously expensive, but a good option when all parties wants the matter resolved out of the public view.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.