Skip to main content

IS it possible for someone to get "emergency residency" in North Carolina?

Dallas, TX |

A woman leaves her husband with the year old son, who is sick, she tells me that she got "emergency residency" as of last Thursday (7/19/12) She left Texas on 7/16/12. Is this even possible? She also claims to have something called an exparte order? I have known this man for over 20 years and he doesn't have a violent bone in his body. He was married to my daughter and won custody of the 2 children from that marriage.
The present wife is trying to get him to come to N.C. knowing she has this "order".
I tell him to talk to a local lawyer, but when she left, she took all the money and he can't pay anything right now. Any help would be great. Thank you so much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Hello, it sounds like she went to North Carolina and obtained a "very" temporary order. It isn't permanent. The truth is that you need to file a case here in Dallas County if you were living here for more than 6 months. Afterwards, contact the North Carolina court and let them know there is a jurisdiction issue. The two courts, Dallas and North Carolina, will probably have a hearing to decide where the case should be held. However, the law is pretty clear on this issue, if you have been living in Dallas for 6 months or more, the case should be heard here in Dallas. As for having no money, I offer payment plans and only need a down payment to start a case like this. Call me at 214-566-7969.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer