Skip to main content

Is it possible for a a legal permanant resident of the US to enter Canada or Europe after deportation from USA?

Alexandria, VA |

He was a legal permanent resident of USA but was convicted of an aggravated felony and deported from the USA after a prison sentence. He wants to travel and possibly live in Canada, Uk, etc... does a deportation from US make this difficult or not possible...???

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Having been deported from the US, he will never be allowed into Canada. Those two countries share everything information and database wise. Same could go for the UK. No one can know until he tries . As for the rest of Europe, it will be easier for non-EU, ex Soviet periphery regions, now independent countries and Albania and ex Yugoslavia, except Slovenia and Croatia. Those will not pay attention even to Interpol reports. Your friend will be easily able to bribe them even if discovered, am afraid.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This question falls not only outside of the scope of this forum, but so far outside that it has nothing to do with US immigration law.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Probably not. Canada, and most of Europe, have more strict immigration laws than the US when it comes to letting criminals in.

Consult with a Canadian-licensed immigration lawyer ... many have offices in the US and/or use Skype.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues, adding that once deported, the alien will no longer be a permanent resident.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer