Skip to main content

Is it ok for a H1-B visa holder to attend fulltime or part-time school for masters?

New York, NY |

Done my Masters in Software Engineering on F-1 Visa and changed to H1-B. Then I got visa stamping from India and back in US. I want to pursue MBA.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are allowed to go to school part time or full time without an F-1 visa as long as you maintain valid H-1B status. In other words, you have to continue to work for your employer while you study. You also can't receive compensation from the school for any reason.


Yes. Hs can go to school part- time or full time as long as you don't violate the terms and condition of H your visa. For example if the H is for full time employment with an annual salary and now you want to work part time at half your salary your employer needs to amend the H to part time with a reduced salary.


Yes, provided they continue to maintain the H-1b status

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.