Is it normal for a GAL to communicate with one party regularly but not return calls or emails even once to the other party?

Green Bay, WI |

Seeking placement of my boys for many reasons including behavior-horrible aggression, emotional problems, social struggles, unsupervised play, etc. (She isn't bad but had a really abusive childhood (so few emotional resources) and has had two more children after ours with a dead-beat, and our kids are paying the consequences for what she doesn't have time for.) We were appointed with a GAL who seemed concerned (we created a list of serious concerns that we left her with at the end of our 1 interview). For 3 months, we have heard nothing from her. She is waiting on results of her requested ADHD eval. (*to explain kids' struggles) to wrap up an investigation that she hasn't even begun. (No follow up with me, neighbors, school, etc.) Mom has spoken with her (she says) many times.

Best Answer

One of the reasons you hire a local attorney is that they know the GALs that work for the county. When these GALs are assigned you have a shot period of time to ask for a substitution. They will knos who to substitute on. It is part of what they do.

To your question YES, I have seen this happen before, it can be a bad thing, but usually does not happen when you are represented. On the other hand you may be coming off badly if you are not represented. It is very hard to depersonalize the issue when you are that close.

Both of us are represented. Our attorney is 45 minutes away. Hers is two blocks from the GAL.

I agree with Attorney Missimer but it could also be that she doesn't need addition information from you. You told her all your concerns, she is investigating you. No one said anything bad about you so she doesn't need any follow up with you but still needs stuff from mom to determine whether your concerns warrant a substantial change in circumstances and a placement change. Has the GAL talked to your kids?

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

I believe it's likely that she has said untrue things because of what she told the mediator when we tried that first. She has since changed her tune a bit, but she started off telling people that my wife has started hitting the kids. Yes-the GAL has spoken to the children but we are unable to determine if it was alone or not. (Mom took them.) We have kept our comments to a minimum but have sent a couple emails and called to check in a couple of times over the last two months. Since then, more concerns have popped up like Mom telling one of our children that the kids get beat up in the school where I live, that if he gets sick and has to call her to pick him up from school, she will get fired, and has told him numerous other things not to do that will make him "sick" if he does them. His horrible anxiety is a huge part of why this placement change is going on--Mom scares them into doing things because she doesn't know a better way. The consequences of that parenting are becoming more apparent by the day and the GAL has not responded to a THING! I am so scared. The facts and findings of the last hearing declared that the ADHD appointment results would allow the GAL to wrap up her investigation. That is an investigation that hasn't even happened. If she is concerned about certain things, wouldn't she want more details than what is listed on a piece of paper?

The facts and findings were put together, by the way, by her lawyer.

Tajara Dommershausen

Tajara Dommershausen

This is why you should have a local, experienced attorney to help you!