Skip to main content

Is it necessary to have an attorney and what should I bring to the court date?

Florence, AZ |

I was at a country music festival this weekend, I am 18. I had had a couple of beers during the day and then a coupe of hours later I was walking with my friend who was holding an opened beer can. She has finished her drink and trashcan was coming up on my side of the path. I grabbed her beer to throw it into the trashcan for her and as soon as I grabbed it we were swarmed by 4 undercover cops who immediately started questioning us and getting into our faces. I was then forced to take a breathalyzer or else be booked in jail so I took it and blew a .02. I was then given a ticket for both consumption and possession (holding her empty beer can). This is my first MIP or MIC ever and I have a clean record. I am a 4.0 student at a University. How should I go about getting this off of my record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Go to court and ask for a public defender or private attorney and fight it.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.


You can hire an attorney but I do not believe that you would be entitled to one on these charges. Best move would be to hire an attorney. If you can't afford to hire one, go to court and see if they offer "diversion" as successful completion of a diversion program could keep this off your record.
Good Luck


It is always the best practice to hire a lawyer when charged with a criminal offense.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer