Skip to main content

Is it legal to perpetually harass me ?

Bellmore, NY |

I have been what i perceive to be a victim of harassment on personal levels by my supervisor at work on multi occasions . I have reported all the incidents to the CEO and comp controller and not much has been done to my knowledge

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Harassment can have different legal meanings. If you are being treated adversely and differently than other employees because of your race, ethnic background, sex, religion or, in some states, sexual preference, then you may have a claim under the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964. Likewise if you are being sexually harassed (unwelcome and persistent advances, obscene comments of a sexual or suggestive nature about you, etc.). If you are being harassed because you have reported certain kinds of misconduct by your employer or supervisors, you may have what is called a "whistleblower" claim. And, finally, if the harassment is severe, pervasive and apparently intended to cause you such emotional distress that you will quit your job or otherwise submit to unfair and emotionally stressful working conditions, you may have a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress. I assume from lack of mention in your question that you are not a member of a bargaining unit represented by a union. If you are a union worker, contact your shop steward; if not, contact a lawyer familiar experienced in labor and employment law. Don't let it go on so long that it causes you more severe emotional damage.

"The law" is a very complex profession, and all specific legal questions will depend on a variety of facts that you may not think to include in your questions on this forum. I am not your attorney, and in answering your question you must understand that I cannot and do not give you legal advice upon which you are entitled to rely. At best, I hope that my answer, and others you find here, will give you a basis for better understanding of the issues you face so that you can provide complete information to a lawyer that you retain to give you advice and representation on which you can confidently rely.



Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated


The motivation for the harassment will be important. A simple personal issue will not have the same protections of law that discrimination, retaliation or sexual harassment might. That being said, I recommend you contact an employment attorney in your area to see what can be done to help you. Consultations should be free, why charge someone if you can't be sure if you can help them yet?

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer