Skip to main content

Is it legal to make no more than $400 cash per year while receiving public welfare but not reporting it to welfare office.

Philadelphia, PA |

I guess I'm self employed, I babysit every once in a while for my cousin and he pays me $50-$100 each time depending on how many kids and hours I have them. Would I have my cousin fill out a 1099 for me??? Will Public Assistance discontinue my cash, food and medical benefits?

+ Read More

Filed under: Fraud
Attorney answers 3


As in previous you need to report this. If it is fairly regular they can anticipate it in your benefits. It's not the yearly amount that makes a difference but the anticipated monthly amount that counts. Rarely is it a dollar for dollar reduction.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


You must report the income. It is not optional and can be criminal.

The above answer is based upon the limited facts available and there may be other possibilities. This answer does not mean we have formed an attorney client other words this is advise, but we do not represent you and you are not our client.


Generally, a 1099 is only generated if one makes more than $600/year. If public assistance finds out in other ways, that you are earning and not reporting, they may not trust your statement that is it sporadic and less than $400/year. As such, I strongly urge you to follow the rules, report the occasional income, and see where the chips fall. They shouldn't cancel anything, since your income likely does not breach any threshold - but if you don't report, it may be easy to believe you are making far more, else why hide it? Be clear with them that it is only once in a blue moon.

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., of JoyDisability, is an attorney licensed in New Jersey, but currently practicing federal Social Security Disability law in all 50 states from her PA office. Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor do they constitute legal advice. Rather, if you need representation or legal advise, you need to make direct contact yourself, and inquire. We welcome and respond to all phone calls and emails.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer