Is it legal to import snow skis directly from Europe to United States and sell?

Pocatello, ID |

My partner is a authentic wholesale dealer of snow skis in Europe. Can I import snow skis from Europe directly and sell in US?

Best Answer

Yes. The safest way to comply with all the import rules is to hire a licensed "customs broker" to set up the arrangement. Query Google for that phrase to track one down. Good luck.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Yes you can, provided that you comply with importing requirements and local regulations. You also need to check who is the manufacturer and obtain all permits and authorizations. Remember to talk also to a local business and tax attorney with experience in international business and trade law. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Yes no problem. Follow the import/export rules, pay your taxes, limit your legal liability with appropriate corporate structures, and you're good!

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through www.totalmobilitylaw.com.

Yes, you should be able to import the snow skis as long as you comply with import requirements, including labeling. If you need a referral for a good customs broker here in the Pacific Northwest, let me know. As my colleagues pointed out, you must also comply with local regulations, pay applicable taxes, and choose an appropriate business structure. However, before you do any of that, your partner should look at the contract with the manufacturer. Does it only authorize sales within Europe? Are their other restrictions? You wouldn't want to cause your partner to breach the contract with the manufacturer by distributing in the US.
I would be happy to answer further questions about this. Good luck!

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice or as creating an attorney-client relationship.  Do not rely on the opinions expressed in this post without discussing them with your attorney. Legal advice must be tailored to unique circumstances and this post is for general purposes only.